The second part of the migration has been completed. All services are now resumed and back to normal.
Just for the curious, the migration was to move PhonicUK.com and related services from a single OS on a physical box, to a virtualized OS on the same physical box without any downtime. This was made possible by having multiple ESXi hosts ready to use.
* Used the VMware converter to convert the still-running dedicated server into a VM
* Update the DNS records to point the domains to the IP address of the new VM (with both still running)
* Install ESXi on the original dedicated server after the DNS ripple finished
* Hot-copy the VM from the ESXi host it was on to the intended target ESXi host
* Re-route the original VMs IP address to point to the new ESXi host
* Breathe a sigh of relief that nothing went wrong
vSphere and vCenter rock.
Please only download PhonicUK software from PhonicUK.com!